Sunday, October 24, 2010

October-November Newsletter


Hi friends, It doesn't feel like "work" when I get up and speak to a group of college students about reasons to believe in Jesus. Here are three topics (among many) that I addressed recently:

  • Why Believe in the Gospel Accounts? (Michigan State)
  • Why does God Allow Suffering and Evil? (Central Michigan U)
  • Believing for all the Right Reasons (Univ of MN Graduate InterVarsity)
What's fun is that all the groups I visited the past few weeks are already doing missional work on their campuses, and they've used me nicely to throw some extra gasoline on the fire. The fire of evangelism, I mean.

I think of "M" in a wheelchair at one of the Mich campuses: Lost his faith, now trying to find it, falling into some atheistic objections like wanting proof of God's existence. Except he doesn't require proof for a lot of his other beliefs. So that's not being consistent. I worried, for a moment, in pointing this out, that I'd been insensitive, but he just thanked me for shooting straight and not tip-toeing around.

Or "L" who plays an instrument on a worship team but has no faith at all. He thought "blind faith" was required to be a true Christian, but now he's seeing there are some darn good reasons to believe, and told me he's moved a step closer to God.

Lastly, "A" came out to the coffee shop after our meeting at Mich State and asked questions rapid-fire about demon possession, the lost souls who've never heard the gospel, OT interpretation, and religious pluralism. A's got a little faith going but needs more knowledge, more confidence. He needs to settle into a rhythm with the Lord. . .

Next up: Five schools in the Chicago area. Please pray for me!


Friends, I know I've mentioned this many times, but . . .  THANK YOU for sending me into the lives of college students and faculty. Kids come to college and quite unexpectedly find Jesus there. Hard to beat that.

If you'd like to help me throw a little more gasoline on the fire, you can give a gift here: Rick Mattson, InterVarsity evangelism  Thanks!

If you wish to read further: I'm back working at Macalester College. Otherwise, thanks again.

Back at Mac

It's been eight years since I served as the campus staff at Macalester in St. Paul. I miss the place. Now I'm back, and feeling right at home.

I'm re-connecting with faculty such as our advisor, Tom Varberg. Sharon and I are hosting manuscript Bible study training in our home, and I'm taking students on ministry excursions around town.

Mac Christian Fellowship has some excellent young leaders and is on a nice roll this fall. Wayne Roberts (former faculty advisor) and I are speaking Tuesday nite at MCF. Can't wait!

Rick & Sharon Mattson