Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Sacred Story from Cedar Campus

Sofia from Macalester College performed a "spoken word" at Chapter Focus Week as a tribute to her late father, a persecuted Christian leader in Somalia.

The poem came toward the end of my talk on Revelation 3, where the white robes of salvation are put in play.

Afterward students and staff cried, clapped, sat thunderstruck. I could barely get the words out:

Would you like to have this kind of hope in your life? Would you like to join the family of God and have Sofia as a true spiritual sister? Would you like to place your faith in Jesus Christ for the very first time?

15 students came forward. We placed a white robe of salvation on each, wrote their names in a mock "book of life," gave out 15 Bibles, prayed for everyone individually.


Mild-mannered Minnesotan got a bit fired up preaching through Revelation 1-4. Not that I went overboard or anything . . .

Chapter Focus Week is held at Cedar Campus on the north shore of Lake Huron.

The two weeks I was there 400 college students per week went through training seminars on leadership, Bible study, evangelism, worldview and devotional topics.

As for Sofia, she's spending the summer and fall in Belarus. And China.

****************

Friends, thank you for sending me into the lives of college students. We're just trying to do the basics here: care, pray, teach. Really, nothing fancy.

As InterVarsity's fiscal year ends June 30, now would be a fantastic time to give a gift to my work. I try not to ask too often. I'm asking now. A giving link is here:

GIVE   (please designate to Rick Mattson)

Thanks so much!

Rick & Sharon


p.s. If you'd like to read my post on the Hiddenness of God 4, please click here. It is a one-minute read :)